Monday, July 7, 2008

A Cultural Experience :-)

I had the opportunity to go to a Romanian wedding yesterday. Andreea was going to a wedding at her church, so she invited some of us to go with her. Another friend of ours was actually in the wedding too, so it was kind of cool. There were some really neat things in the very long wedding. First, the church had an early service that was full of prayer. We probably stood three or four times to pray and everyone prays out loud at the same time, very cool. (This is a Pentecostal church here in RO, so it wasn’t the traditional Orthodox). After having church for an hour, everyone just stayed in their seats for the wedding to begin. The bride and groom sat on a bench on the stage, and now I understand why…because they would have been standing for two entire hours! A group of children sang a song to them, poems were recited, the mother of the groom sang a song to them, the wedding party sang a song to them, and about two or three “sermons” were given as well. It was so great and I wish that I could have understand it all for I’m sure it was beautiful. I’m so glad that I had the opportunity to go. After the wedding service, the wedding party and invited guests get into decorated cars and drive around town honking their horns. They drive to a restaurant and have a long meal together. I’ve decided that I really like the honking tradition. ☺

Also, I want to point out another cultural thing I have experienced lately: long meals. If you go to restaurant in Romania, expect to be there for two to three hours easily. If this were to happen in America, no tips would be given and people would storm the kitchen. In Romania, everyone just enjoys being around the table together, even if they don’t have their food after 45 minutes. Maybe Americans are in a hurry too much.

This week of camp will be with mostly teenagers, so please pray for open hearts and minds. Having teenagers also means later nights, so please pray for adequate rest. I have a pretty good team, for what I’ve seen so far. And I have awesome translators! It’s great that the volunteers and interns are starting to get more comfortable with eachother as we serve together. We head out to Vetca tomorrow, so please pray for our week at camp!


Currently listening to: All-American Rejects and Ben Folds

5 comments:

amanda sue said...

that is really cool about the romanian wedding :) i'll definitely be praying for you (like always) and missing you more than ever this week!! love you :)

ps: excellent music choices, if i may say so myself :)

Leanna said...

i agree with frisbee. i'm glad to see that even though you are far away, you are listening to some pretty awesome music. :)

i miss you and i am praying for you!

love you!

Anonymous said...

what an experience! sounds like you had a good time :)

and yes, good music. love you!

Unknown said...

haha this has nothing to do with your post, but i came to your blog today and for the first time realized that its not "bekah's world" its bekah's "words". haha I am so dumb. Love you!!!!

Joshua Britt said...

Hey Sister! Just stopped by to say hello and I love you. I was thinking a lot about you the other day cause I watched the Goonies AND a push up ice cream pop. It was like old school summers in Glennville with our original nintendo we played every single day. =)
Anyways, glad to hear that you are doing well and you have been having fun.